I love warm salad bowls during wintertime (and yes, we finally have cold weather and I think it’s here to stay!) Whenever I think of them, I think of snowy days, a crackling fire, and roast turkey. Anyone else?
Just me? Ok, that’s cool…
Anyways, salad bowls are my favorite dinner: they’re SO, SO easy to whip up (basically just raid your fridge, put everything on the counter, and dinner is served) If you’re feeling snazzy,you might even roast some veggies.
I roasted veggies today. I was feeling snazzy.
And I was feeling extra snazzy, so I added some chicken for my meat-loving little brother. (When he asked me what was for dinner and I replied “salad,” the look of disgust and disappointment of his face was too much, so I added “with chicken.” Funny how quickly a face can light up…)
And that’s how this recipe was born. And I’m so glad it was because I just might be living off of this salad for the rest of winter– and my life. Roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and fresh avocados. Need I say more?
Yeah, didn’t think so.
- 2 heads of lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tomato, washed and chopped
- ½ lb chicken thighs
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, washed and sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced into strips
- ½ cup couscous, prepared according to package instructions
- feta cheese
- salt, pepper, smoked paprika
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rub about 1tbsp each of salt, pepper, and smoked paprika onto the chicken thighs.
- Roast the onion, bell pepper, potatoes, and chicken in a greased pan for about 30 minutes (stir every 10-15 minutes).
- Enjoy on a bed of lettuce topped with the roasted veggies, avocado, tomato, couscous, feta cheese, and olive oil!