I love warm salad bowls during wintertime (and yes, we finally have cold weather and I think it’s here to stay!) Whenever I think of them, I think of snowy days, a crackling fire, and roast turkey. Anyone else?
Just me? Ok, that’s cool…
Anyways, salad bowls are my favorite dinner: they’re SO, SO easy to whip up (basically just raid your fridge, put everything on the counter, and dinner is served) If you’re feeling snazzy,you might even roast some veggies.
I roasted veggies today. I was feeling snazzy.
And I was feeling extra snazzy, so I added some chicken for my meat-loving little brother. (When he asked me what was for dinner and I replied “salad,” the look of disgust and disappointment of his face was too much, so I added “with chicken.” Funny how quickly a face can light up…)
And that’s how this recipe was born. And I’m so glad it was because I just might be living off of this salad for the rest of winter– and my life. Roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized onions, and fresh avocados. Need I say more?
Yeah, didn’t think so.
Roasted Chicken and Veggie Salad Bowl
- 2 heads of lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tomato, washed and chopped
- ½ lb chicken thighs
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, washed and sliced into strips
- 1 onion, sliced into strips
- ½ cup couscous, prepared according to package instructions
- feta cheese
- salt, pepper, smoked paprika
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rub about 1tbsp each of salt, pepper, and smoked paprika onto the chicken thighs.
- Roast the onion, bell pepper, potatoes, and chicken in a greased pan for about 30 minutes (stir every 10-15 minutes).
- Enjoy on a bed of lettuce topped with the roasted veggies, avocado, tomato, couscous, feta cheese, and olive oil!
Whenever my family and I go to Panera Bread I get one of two foods: either the Mediterranean Sandwich or the Chicken Caesar Salad. Both are a treat for the taste-buds. For dinner last night I indulged my taste-buds and made a chicken caesar salad. And the recipe is way to good for me to keep to myself!
Like any Caesar salad, this one includes croutons. You can buy them or make them like I did. If you want to make them, no worries; they are super-simple to make. All you need is bread and olive oil: tear the bread up, sprinkle with olive oil, bake for about 10 minutes, and you’re all done!
This salad is, in my dad’s words, “perfect for summer!” I whole-heartedly agree and you will too once you try it!
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 3 skinless,boneless chicken breasts
- Parmesan cheese, in a block
- 1 large romaine lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
For the Dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- ground pepper
- 4 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Tear (or cut) the bread into croutons. Spread the pieces over a pan and sprinkle 2 tbsp of oil over them. Rub the oil into the bread and season with a little salt (optional). Bake for 10 minutes, turning the croutons over a few times during baking so that they brown evenly.
- Rub the remaining oil onto the chicken breasts and season with salt. Place in a pan and, over medium heat, cook the chicken (about 20 minutes). Let cool a little before cutting the chicken into bite-sized strips.
- Using a peeler shave the desired amount of cheese from the block of Parmesan.
- Tear (or cut) the washed lettuce into large pieces.
- Cut the washed tomatoes into wedges.
- To make the dressing, mince the garlic clove. Mix in the salt, lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard, cheese, and ground pepper. Slowly add in the oil; mix well. The dressing should have the consistency of yogurt.
- To assemble the salad, place half of the lettuce in a serving bowl. Add half of the chicken, tomatoes, croutons, some shredded cheese, and half of the dressing. Then place the rest of the lettuce on top and top with the remaining ingredients and dressing. Mix well and serve.
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food Chicken Caesar Salad and from Eating Well Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe